Sunday, October 21, 2007

At least Jared Jeffries didn’t have to give #20 back!


Not long after Jared Jeffries joined the New York Knicks last year as yet another one of President of Basketball Operations Isiah Thomas’ $30 million dollar projects,
Jeffries sought out then-retired Knicks guard Allan Houston in order to request if he could use Houston’s #20 for his tenure with the Knicks. Houston, humbled by the younger Jeffries request, gave this blessing.

On October 10, 2007, things got a bit interesting as the booked camp of the New York Knicks added yet another body by signing Houston to a contract. Houston, who was attempting to come back from a knee injury that forced him to retire two years earlier, had a lot of factors going against him: playing rust, stamina, and competition for a roster spot in the Knicks’ final lineup.

At this point, I wondered if I would hear Jim A. Lovell’s classic line, “Houston, we have a problem.” This of course pertaining to whether or not Houston would again don his familiar #20.

Seven days later, Houston answered by question by sporting #7 in the Knicks drubbing against the Boston Celtics (101-61). Houston played a 6 insignificant minutes in that contest and only attempted one shot.

On the 20th of October, Houston had this prepared statement:

"While my body and my knees, in particular, feel fine, I know what is required for me to be truly effective in the NBA again, and it involves a timing and progression that would not be fair to Isiah and the Knicks right now," Houston said in a statement released by the Knicks. "With the season opening less than two weeks away, I think it is best for the team to move on without me. I appreciate the opportunity that Isiah and the Knicks have given me, and I wish the team nothing but success."

Ok…so much for that comeback attempt. Premature, but at least, Allan Houston got to go out on his own terms…with yet another contract at that!

Thanks Isiah!

----------------
Now playing: Jars Of Clay - Headstrong
via FoxyTunes

No comments: